Monday, May 7, 2012

Today May 7th, I decided to take Diamond out to the desert and let her travel freely.  This is always interesting, because the last time they were in this type of environment, they were completely free.  This always makes me wonder what she is going to do when she doesn't see any fences. 
     I took her out of the trailer, and lead her over a bridge that goes over the irrigation canal and she took it all pretty well.  Then we headed up the hill and we did several one rein stops as she was looking around and taking it all in.  There were several cows that had found a hole in the fence and this gave her something to look at and we ignored them until, I knew she wasn't going to spook from them and run off.  I was able to transition Diamond from the walk to the trot and then to the lope.  She kept a consistent gait.  On our way back down the hill I decided to see if she would be useful gathering cattle and she has no fear of that.  By the time we were done,  we had gathered about 50 pair of cattle and she couldn't have done any better.  When we were done, I tied her to the trailer and rode two other client horses out and she is awesome at standing tied.  Another great day!!!!

No comments: