Sunday, March 9, 2008

Pick up

I entered the Western States Mustang Challenge because I grew up in Central Nevada and loved watching the wild mustangs. As a kid everytime I would go to town I would stare out the windows in hopes to catch sight of a harem of mustangs. There was rarely a time that went by that I didn't catch site of one. I grew up on a large cattle ranch and have always had a passion for horses. One of the horses in the remuda that I rode was a mustang. There is something trilling about the freedom and proudness of a mustang in their native environment.

In the Western Horseman I saw an ad for the Extreme Mustang Makeover... I thought that would be a neat opportunity. So after applying and getting accepted as one of the 30 trainers, I was off to Sacramento to pick up the mustang project.

I got there to the pick-up spot and saw the mare that had been drawn for me. After her failed attempt to leap the fence, the wranglers loaded her into the trailer. She did fine in the trailer but I'm sure she'll always remember the Macks, Kennys, and Petes that thundered by on the freeway based on the rocking motion of the trailer as they passed by. The extremely long trip I'm sure was confusing for her, because we drove near the area where she ran free in her younger years.

As she got to her new home on Sunday she got the night off to rest up from her trip. Plus, Monday was a SCHOOL DAY. She needed to be ready for her first day of school.

2 comments:

bezona said...

Congratulations Matt on you new adventure! We are all so very excited and proud of you for taking this challenge. We know you will do great! We will keep checking in to see how the progress is going. Have fun & be safe. Our blessings to you today & always, the Bezona's

bezona said...

Opps, that was suppose to say on YOUR new adventure!