Saturday, March 15, 2008

Lesson 5

Yesterday Ali and I only got to work together for a short time due to the weather conditions and daylight hours. But today was a fun and productive day. I started the day yeilding her hind quarters and her fore quarters from the ground. She was responding to this exceptionally well, so I began flexing her head to gain control of her. I feel it is important to give to pressure before you get on, not only for safety reasons but because it gives the horse an understanding of what you are trying to do.

I desensitized her to the saddle pad and the saddle. She took this well because she already had a girth strap on before from the previous sessions. My first attempt in getting into the saddle, she jumped to the side and I just stepped down. After watching her jump to the side I flexed her a bit more before trying to attempt again. The second time, was able to get into the saddle. Once I was in the saddle she was fine. She did not buck or do anything. After a couple minutes she started stepping out and away we went. I noticed she has a long stride in her gallop. I'm anxious to take her outside in the hills because that is where the fun rides are. Maybe next week. If she keeps doing as well as she has been, she may end up being one of the horses I use during the branding season. We'll see.

At the end of the ride I was able to pick up all four of her feet and she was MORE than willing to be tied to the "post of knowledge" (in the words of Clinton Anderson.) She ended her day with a big bowl of grain.

Whenever there is anything earth-shaking around the place I tend to find her in my back pocket. This happened the other day and she's done it a couple of times since. When it happens it is a comical event.

2 comments:

Tracey said...

Sounds like she's coming along nicely, Matt. What a blessing that she knows how to eat grain; Sandy lips it and lets it fall from his mouth like I've tried to poison him, lol!

Kathy M said...

My mare as like that when she was young. IF she did ever "spook" she would just startle and then her move to hide behind me.

It a good sign that she sees you as her leader ;D

My mare grew up and is a strong confident girl.. She doesn't hide behind me anymore.