Friday, February 13, 2009

Today just happened to be fairly windy around here and I took the opportunity to use this session as a desensitization one. I had several things hanging from the fence and Mother Nature did the rest of the work. The buoys hanging near the gate were mistaken for predators on occasion and a lot of objects in the arena were on the move also. It probably took her about forty minutes to settle down.

Also, I tied a buoy to a 35 foot rope and let it drag at a distance initially in the round pen and then gradually worked it up to the point where it was touching her hind feet. Once we mastered this, I brought it up to where I could bring the buoy up on the saddle and swing the rope around with the buoy attached. Eventually there was not an issue with any of that.

I also worked with picking up the right leads in the arena and Destiny was able to pick that up fairly well by the end of the session. Toward the end of the session, I brought her back into the round pen where we polished up on our sidepassing a little bit more. We will get there!!!

To end the day we worked on trailer loading again and then I let her hang out in the trailer for a few hours. I will have company for the weekend so maybe I can get someone convinced to video for the blog. Hopefully I can enjoy some nice days where the wind isn't howling. Or I might have to buy a kite and maybe just fly it.

No comments: