Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The last two days have been some big days for Destiny. I took her up to the BLM ground behind my place and went for a trail ride. We saw all sorts of terrain as we rode along the canal bank. I must have travelled about 7 miles on her round trip. We encountered a coyote, tons of sagebrush rubbing up against her sides, and my neurotic dog, Banjo(who strums to a different beat-- mainly because he runs circles around any horse that I am working with). On the ride Banjo would disappear down in the canal and also behind small hills before popping out in a different location. (This feature desensitizes any horse!) I also worked on Destiny's consistency at the trot, lope, and walk with some collection mixed in.
Today, I decided to take Destiny to encounter more scary things. She always gets nervous around the tack shed because there is a radio playing so we did some small circles until she calmed down. After that we headed toward Hwy 201 where I thought I'd let traffic have a go at her. Several cars passed and some large noiser vehicles went by and I was actually impressed at the calmness as the cars passed by. I was imagining that we would be doing some phenomenal sidepassing but it was not the case. Then we headed down to the neighbors where there is several horses in corrals and this made her nervous but she calmed down after some small circles. When we arrived home my wife was feeding the horses with my two girls so I decided to take Destiny up to get a rub from all of them. People are Destiny's biggest hurtle that we are going to have to encounter, but we are working on it daily.

No comments: