Saturday, January 3, 2009

Bit and Saddle


Tonight was a little chaotic with company in the round pen. I had 2 dogs weaving in and out of it, 2 cats walking the top of the rails, 2 kids throwing dirt clods near the pen, and one BLM mustang focusing on her trainer. And not to forget, one wife who loves me enough to bear 27 degree weather to snap some pictures for a few minutes.

This was the little filly's first night with a bit. She took it very well. For the first minute of course she was chewin' on it and wondering what it was. Then after that it was no big deal. I have worked previously with some bit work and tonight once I bridled her she accepted it perfectly. Next, I desensitized her with the lead rope. Then it was on to the stick and string with a plastic sack attached. I've done several of these desensitization exercises but never with the sack until tonight. She has been desensitized enough that the new stuff is not very alarming to her at all.



I human curry combed her tonight. I also jumped up on her and she stood like a perfect angel.





After the "photographer" when inside to warm up the kids, the filly got a saddle pad and in a couple of minutes had a saddle on her back. She did just fine with absolutely no fight in her. At one point I stood up in the saddle on one side so she would get use to stirrup pressure as I step up. My plan is to ride her tomorrow. I worked on getting her to change directions consistently and then I had her give to the bit. After that I blanketed her to keep her warm.
I've been working on leading her. And yesterday in her pen I worked on picking up her feet. I successfully picked up all four of her feet. I did it again tonight.
This black filly sure is impressing me. She seems to have some wits to her and is going to make a really nice easy going horse in the near future. All she needs now is a name. (If anyone has an idea go ahead and post it in the comments.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt,

Good for you! Can't wait to watch your progress.

Good luck!

Shane Sherri
John Day

Anonymous said...

Good luck Matt we will be watching your progress!

Anonymous said...

Hey Matt!
I loved reading about your adventures. One name (for your filly) that immediately jumped to mind was: Destiny. She wasn't first in line for your 2009 horse, but maybe it was just destiny for her -- to be lucky enough to have you as her trainer & to have the chance to go to a really great home in her future. Also, she just might be some lucky person's "destiny." It's a name full of promise.
Diana Clark & "Sundance"