Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Gaining confidence

When I jumped into the truck this morning my thermometer registered with a whopping 5 below zero.  It was pretty chilly for around here.  When the day warmed up, I worked with Serendipity for about an hour.  I am able to walk up to her and pet her fairly easy now as she is gaining confidence and not trying to jump the fence and run to the next county.  While I was desensitizing her, she tried to turn her head and bite a couple times today but it is happening less and less. 
     I asked her for some controlled lungeing today and she doesn't like to travel around the pen clockwise, but we managed to overcome that hurtle.  However she is yielding her hindquarter a lot better now and looking into the center of the pen.  She still would look at the fence and think about trying to go over, but I turn her head into the center of the round pen every time she tips her head to the outside of the pen.   I used the stick and string, lead rope and my hands to desensitize her today.  Also I was able to get close enough that my body was laying up against her while I was rubbing her. 
     When I brought water into the pen with a five gallon bucket, she didn't retreat to the edge of the pen.  She stayed in the center and let me come up to her and I was able to let her drink out of the bucket while I held it up for her.  When I walk by the pen now, her head doesn't raise like it used to a few days ago.  She is starting to trust me a lot more and when the weather gets above freezing, I plan to put the first ride on her.  Hopefully this weekend.

No comments: